Owl pedal LED stopped working

I hadn’t used my owl pedal for a while mainly while waiting for firmware V13.
When i switched it on today the led was very dim and after some time completely stopped working.
Any idea, what might need a fix there? This happens both with USB power or a 9v power supply attached.

Via OwlControl i can access the pedal, it seems to behave normally, but when using sound i get no output whatsoever.

Thanx for any insights.

That doesn’t sound good. Did you try a factory reset from OwlControl?

Yes i did a factory reset. The Owl pedal seems to respond normally when connected to OwlControl, but has no sound output or input and the push button LED continues to not work.
Also, the factory reset doesn’t delete my 4 custom patches, i don’t know, if that indicates false behaviour already.

Factory reset only sets the default user settings: in/out gain, default patch id et c. It doesn’t rewrite the stored patches.
With those symptoms I can only imagine there’s a hardware problem. Pls email us (info at rebeltech dot org) to arrange a return.
If you want to you could try re-flashing v12 firmware first, see if that changes anything.

I reflashed the firmware v12 and it does turn the red part of the LED back on, though dim and flickering. Brightness varies between programs/patches.
Green doesn’t work at first.
Audio doesn’t say anything.
Midi monitor reports sysex communication every 5 seconds, while OwlControl is on.
Connection between red LED brightness and CPU load seems erratic, same or similar with
footswitch action. Seems to get dimmer, when on, but that is assuming i know when on is without being able to see a green LED.

15 mins later, while powered by USB: Green LED comes BACK ON upon footswitch, flickering, getting brighter, turnign off again after a while.

It could simply be a power issue. Maybe some board regulator is bust or loose connection to LED? I’d be happy to attempt fixing this here, if you give me directions.
However, i can also send it in.
What would you prefer? Where would i send it? Cost? -> ah yes: info at rebeltech dot org

Looks like i might have a show at Cafe OTO Feb 12th, but it is yet unconfirmed. Maybe then i could just pick it up again.

A few hours later i still power the pedal via USB and the LED keeps on working actually. Even sound works now. I don’t understand this. I hope the board didn’t get a shock (i am not aware of any shock situations) but right now this is so erratic, that i don’t want to vhold you up with half a support call. Thank you for answering in any case. I’ll continue to evaluate.

Weird! You could try opening up the back and re-seating the digital board. And make sure the two pin jumpers are firmly in place.
Cafe OTO gig: sounds great, keep us posted!

1 Like

After i just saw this recent thread about a malfunctioning LED on the owl i checked mine again, and really it doesn’t work still. It stopped flickering and went completely off some time ago.
And i stopped caring.
But now i realize, that i would need it working for a few new patches.

I did the usual restart with LED pressed (no 3 blinks, as that LED doesn’t do anything anymore).
But otherwise the OWL works, currently on v12.
Re-seated the digital board and checked the jumpers.

I can’t seem to get the main board out of the case yet, it gets stuck at the power plug (not the USB actually) - however, when i managed to do this, what kind of hardware interruption/failure would i be looking for?

I suppose it makes no sense to send you a mostly working OWL to London from Berlin, i can easily attempt to solder a new one into this actually.

Thanx in advance.

Hi @jrp, sorry about the delay getting back to you on this:
Please email info@rebeltech.org to arrange a return. The LED button is a particular type that can be difficult to get hold of.

Thanx @Mars, no problem about the delay. I’ve sent email.