Pure data - list of supported objects?

Thanks jrp, the relationship between everything makes a bit more sense now.

Do a search for quality of Pure Data filter objects. Many discussions there, since many years - the result of which in brief is: If you understand the math then use rzero etc instead of hip, lop, bp - however we can’t use them as dynamically controllable objects with the OWL as long as control inputs aren’t enabled

This is where I’m confused - I don’t think my use case has any control connections to [czero~], yet it still fails to compile saying “[czero~] accepts only signal input. Arguments and control connections are ignored”.

Thats part of rjlib’s e_beequad.pd, which is like [biquad~] except with interpolation. I mean I could write a little interpolator that uses 2 [biquad~]s and crossfades between them on param change, which isnt quite the same thing but would do in my case.

My apprehension now is that writing complex patches for puredata is a bit of a minefield, and I kind of don’t want to invest time into building patches when at any moment I might include something that doesn’t compile, but also the fixes for the broken compilation have no clear owner or way forward without personally diving into the details. If I need to learn how a compiler works, to help fix multiple bugs, to compile a patch I wrote, to get an effect I wanted, to write a song… that’s a few too many layers.

Anyway, I’m going to look into Faust in the mean time. Looks promising, it seems to have a lot of premade audio related modules, an online playground, and most importantly there are heaps of examples, which was my main draw to puredata. So far its been a bit too difficult to get my LFO > resonant low pass filter patch working with puredata.

Puredata still seems fine for simple things. I’ve been using my voltage controlled tremolo patch for ages now, no issues.

You can clone hvcc from github and drop it into the Tools directory of OwlProgram. Let me know if you want any help with setting that up.
I could also run a test for you, if you have a simple test patch.

@dxinteractive @jrp I’ve tried to add your feedback here: Pure Data OWL Patches | OpenWareLab

Anything else you’d like to add let me know, or PR!

Ah great, thanks for this, looks good!

In the mean time I’ve been using Faust and absolutely loving it - to any more programming-minded people out there trying out Pure Data: give yourself an afternoon to try out Faust too. There’s a bit to learn but it’s quickly become my favourite DSP tool, and their standard library is huge.

2 Likes