New community section for showing off your devices?

I really like the products you guys make. Lurking the community here, there are a lot of threads on bug fixes and technical difficulties, which makes sense because that’s a necessary part of it all, but there’s not a lot of sharing of people using their devices. Wonder if a couple of things might make these forums a bit more engaging?

Thing number 1 - I’d like to see what other users are doing with their devices. I want to see how people are plugging it into their other gear. I backed the kickstarter to get a Wizard and an Alchemist, but know nothing of how the Magus actually went or what people are doing with it. After realising that the categories view exists, I saw that there is a section for “videos”, but I feel like that is too specific. I’ll make a thread to see if there’s interest, but on most other forums I’ve been on these “show off your gear” type sections are good value.

Thing number 2 - personally I’d prefer that the community landing page was Rebel Technology, because it provides new users with a better overview of what kind of discussions might be going on - and it also includes latest posts on the right anyway. Latest posts will often be technical difficulties, so the (not necessarily true) impression I get from landing on the “latest” tab by default is that most people are having technical difficulties.

Having used other Discourse sites in the past, I immediately navigated to /categories when I arrived here, as many of them have chosen it to be the landing page. I agree that it would be a better one; it includes what is on the current page, plus more.

If you want more people to make demos of stuff that they run on their devices, you should lead by example and make one (or a few) yourself. I think this would be way more motivating.

Oh yeah, I fully intend to once I have something I’m happy to share. Or perhaps that’s everyone’s barrier :stuck_out_tongue: That’s pretty much what lead me to making this post, if I were to post a photo / diagram then I’d be a little stumped as to where to put it. Videos have a section so I could just do that

1 Like

Even if you’re just figuring out things, documenting this process could be fairly useful for others. This happened before, i.e.: Magus patch projects log . If more people did that, at least it would be easier to compile a FAQ about most common issues that new users run into. Don’t worry about categorization too much - tags can always be added as necessary.

Also, if you feel like documenting one of platforms for building patches, it could probably be added here - GitHub - pingdynasty/OpenWareLab: Documentation for the OWL family of devices. . Currently it has only docs about hardware devices, but I think Owl-specific software docs belong there as well. Currently I’m preparing some info about writing patches in Faust for that repo.

1 Like

Sure, I’ll do that. Your reply seems to apply more to the other thread I was commenting in (Pure data - list of supported objects? - #16 by dxinteractive), was it intended to go there? Either way its a great idea.

Good idea, here it is:

okay so figured out how to do this: in Discourse you have to edit the top menu items and put the one you want as landing page first. Done! Let’s try it out, let me know if you do/don’t prefer it like this.

1 Like

Awesome thanks, yeah I like the landing page more now, keen to hear what others think.

I’ll post something in the showcase soon.