AC/DC Firmware Update

Hi @antisvin

Hope you are doing fine.

Do you have some alternatives to solve this issue or should i consider the module as bricked?

Thank you!

I think I may be it the same boat with a bricked AC/DC after trying to update the firmware. followed the directions here (xdk | OpenWareLab) with the most recent firmware from here (Releases Ā· RebelTechnology/OpenWare Ā· GitHub). There was an error after clicking flash bootloader. I unfortunately lost the error code, but USB is completely non-functional now, and shorting the pads does not have any effect (I am shorting them during power on before plugging in USB).

The LEDs do light up when a signal is sent to an input, but the device does not show up as an audio device on my computer, the DFU page, or anywhere else. Am I SOL?

edit: I should add that the reason I was trying to update the firmware is that I was only getting ~5v out of the outputs. inputs were working totally find though.

The same thing happened to me. I followed all the instructions to the letter. Now I canā€™t connect to OWL nor can I enter DFU mode by shorting the boot pins. I can confirm that the ā€œdefaultā€ VCA patch as antisvin mentioned is running. Is there any help?

Maybe try adding some solder on those ā€œbootā€ pads to make shortening them more reliable. As far as I understand this should work for all Xibeca boards and is independent from installed firmware.

I did try that and even soldered a momentary switch to guarantee a good connection. Still no joy.

Ok, thanks for saving me the trouble of suggesting to make a solder bridge :wink: I will try to bother someone from Befaco about this DFU situation, but I suspect that youā€™ll end up either using a programmer to flash it or sending it back to them to do the same.

Shout out to a fellow Daisy Patch owner, by the way :slight_smile: Yep, I just ordered a ST-Link V3MINIE and header so Iā€™ll give that a go. From the photo, we have the same Xibeca Rev2 but our AC/DC boards are different. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Sounds like you can install OWL on it while waiting for ACDC to be resurrected.

It was just a prototype that I was given a while ago. I have a second AC/DC now that is a production version. I was told that analog part on that earlier prototype is not particularly different from final version, it certainly is not involved in DFU. And both of them (with different Xibeca boards) can be forced to DFU mode.

Regarding ST-link, Iā€™ve just confirmed that:

1. ā€œmake flashā€ is able flash firmware which from Build/ACDC.elf that you will get if compiling firmware yourself
  2. to flash a .bin image, the following works: openocd -f interface/stlink.cfg -f target/stm32h7x.cfg -c "program /your/path/to/ACDC.bin 0x08000000 verify reset exit"
  3. connecting programmer cable upside down gives you Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging

The plot thickens. Iā€™ve been able to get a boot twice. Using the rebel web tool I was able to do two tests. I used your acdc.bin and just did a plain ā€œflash firmwareā€ which ended properly. The module was not restored and the default vca did not work. After this, I was able to boot again select your acdc.bin, select advanced mode, select Flash bootloader all according to instructions. It resulted in ā€œDFU GETSTATUS failed: ControlTransferIn failed: NetworkError: Failed to execute ā€˜controlTransferInā€™ on USBDeviceā€™:A transfer error has occurred.ā€ So, for that fellow who was worried about not selecting ā€œEnable advanced modeā€, you can come back from that. The VCA default works again but module is not still recognized.

Now that I can access DFU mode via USB, what would be the best way to update the firmware and getting it back to normal function?

I have a ticket open with them, but so far theyā€™ve just told me to try and flash the firmware with the web tool, despite explaining that it doesnā€™t show up there.

I donā€™t know anything about this st-link thing but Iā€™ve seen it mentioned. What else is needed to use it? You mentioned you bought some kind of header?

This is already answered above

thank you. sorry, this stuff is all kind of greek to me.

Iā€™ve flashed the firmware using both the official and antivinā€™s version with the st-linker. The result was the same. It doesnā€™t fix the prob, just goes to the default VCA patch.

Unfortunately Iā€™ll be away from my OWLs for the next month or so, canā€™t doublecheck if that build that Iā€™ve uploaded was solving USB problems for me. You can also try older v25.0.rc4 from github just in case if it was working.

Or maybe someone from @Befaco could upload the firmware binary that theyā€™re flashing for new modules. It might be some older version that is not among github releases.

Iā€™ve got a replacement board on the way. Iā€™m going to compare the bootloader and firmware from that with the changed version.

Great, in such case first thing that you should do is store its firmware dump with openocd and try it on the old board, I hope youā€™ll manage to find exact command on your own. You canā€™t and donā€™t need to compare bootloader though - on Xibeca itā€™s stored on flash area not exposed to user normally and is preflashed by MCU vendor.

Good news. I received the replacement board and took the firmware from that and loaded it on the broken board. Itā€™s back to working again!