Alchemist and Wizard patch library

Welcome new users!

As we’ve now started shipping Alchemists and Wizards I wanted to provide a little update on how these devices are supported by the current patch library.

All existing OWL patches should be fully compatible with the new devices. The exception would be when a patch uses a hardware feature which a particular device doesn’t support, such as the trigger output on the Alchemist which only has a trigger input. In this case the patch will still run, and it will still generate MIDI output triggers.

Many patches however will currently fail to load because the version in the patch library has been compiled with an older version of the libraries, so it is out of date. Apologies for this! We’re working on some changes so that all patches can be recompiled as a batch job. Meanwhile if there are particular patches you find that don’t work, let us know and we can make sure they are updated. If you have published patches yourself you can also log in and just click Compile Patch to bring a patch binary up to date.

Storing Patches
Previously loading and storing patches was always done with our OwlControl app. We would like to move away from this in favour of being able to do everything from within the patch library.
In the next week or two we will roll out a new feature to let you store patches as easily as you load them.

We will also improve on the messages and diagnostics to make it easier for Alchemist and Wizard users to see when a patch has been loaded or stored and if there are any errors.

So in short: apologies if initially support is a little patchy, we’re working to improve it :grin:

1 Like

I’m trying out the “Popular” patches, and most of them don’t work … when I load one, the Wizard instead resets to its initial patch (the grab-bag of little melody-generator thingies.) I’ve noticed that most of the popular patches have compilation dates around 2016, implying they’re out of date?

I had better luck with the “Latest” page. Many of them work, although several (including all of alexandre.niger’s, like “WTOscAR”, “WTPitchAR”, etc.) just seem to freeze the Wizard until it’s power-cycled.

Looking forward to better compatibility, although what’s available is already fun to play with.

2 Likes