Compiling a pd patch

I’m experimenting with a few patch ideas for the OWL Pedal. I’ve been looking at the laser sounds in the book by Andy Farnell. There is a file called lazer1.pd in the book’s accompanying code that I used as a starting point. This used 3 separate abstractions, so the first thing to do was get those working. The Heavy compiler doesn’t implement vline~ so the first job was to swap that out for a line~ in one of the abstractions.

The next issue was CPU. One of the abstractions contained another abstraction and there were four of these (crack.pd from the book resources) in the patch. Removing two of the four kept much of the “crack” noise that the abstraction creates but brought the CPU usage down to a usable level.

Now, however, I have a patch that sounds fine in pd, but the other part of the sound (not the “crack” sound but the oscillator-driven laser sound) sounds completely different on the OWL. I’m not sure why. There are no errors and all the objects in the patches are supported by Heavy. Or are they? Has anybody seen issues/differences in behaviour with some objects? I’m using del, trigger, metro, hip~, clip~, *~, inlet, outlet, sig~, line~, osc~, pow~, noise~, outlet~, bp~, inlet~

Not really sure how to proceed. I suppose I’ll have to use some kind of process of elimination…

Grateful for any tips on how to move forwards!

I have now narrowed down the problem a bit by hardcoding a small part of the patch I made. It looks like this:

This patch sounds fine in pd but produces only a click on the Owl.

So again, where could the problem be and does anybody have any tips as to how I should approach this to diagnose the issue?

I think [r Channel-Push] is sending a 1 every processing cycle while you have it pressed. The [line~] object is receiving [1, 0 3200(, so the object [f 3200] isn’t doing anything.

Check out this patch, I think what you want to do is there:
https://hoxtonowl.com/patch-library/patch/Kick_Drum

Thanks for the reply. The [f 3200] was just something I forgot to clean up, I get that it’s superfluous. However, I’m still missing a trick here; as in your Kick_Drum patch, I added a [sel 1] right after the [r Channel-Push]:

Same thing again, works fine in PD (and, in fact, in the in-browser player too) but produces just a click on the device. I’ll carry on testing this eve but welcome any ideas…thanks.

Ok, I think I’ve identified the issue…higher frequencies are not being rendered correctly when using [pow~]. Other than that everything seems to be working fine. Guess there’s some issue with [pow~ ] that results in differences in the audio result on-device.

I thought It was the tipical situation when you trigger something 1000 times a second and the machine freezes.

Instead of [pow~] you could use a simple [line~] and see if it responds any better, [log~] could be another aproach.