Compiling OwlNest under Linux

(I decided to make a separate thread from this one, since the topic is totally different).

I tried running the binary for OwlNest on my x64 Xubuntu, but it didn’t work out, so I decided to compile it from github. I downloaded the code and submodule, installed the missing libraries, but I have the following problem when building OwlNest itself:

Linking OwlNest
../../Libraries/libusbx/libusb-1.0.so: error adding symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [build/OwlNest] Error 1

Even though I use Linux for practically everything, c++ coding included, I’m definitely not a guru - I can’t figure out what causes the error or how I can fix it. Any ideas?

Full output of the compilation here: https://gist.github.com/nietaki/8870674

ooh, I see: the pre-built libusb library that we include for linux is in 32-bit format, which is probably why the linker is failing.

The quickest thing to do is probably to install (if you don’t have it already) libusb (or, better, libusbx) and update the Makefile. Simply remove all mentions of -I…/…/Libraries/libusbx and replace …/…/Libraries/libusbx/libusb-1.0.so with -lusb and it should work.

I’ll see what I can do about making 64-bit linux binaries for the next release, which we’re working on now.

Makes sense, I’ll try it out.