Compiling with heavy produces empty folders for Wwise and other targets

Hello,

In response to my comment here:

I was informed that the online heavy compiler will now generate outputs for targets like wwise, unity, etc.

I just tried compiling a pd patch just now and all of the c targets compiled correctly, however the folders for Wwise, vst2, unity, etc are empty. They have the linux/resources/vs2015 folders in them, but these folders are empty. I’m posting this topic to see if it is user error on my end or if others are experiencing this issue.

Thank you

I can confirm I see the same empty folders. Perhaps we need to configure hvcc with the correct SDKs. I will try it out.

Okay so I found and fixed an error in the compilation script: the zip file now includes all the generated code for all targets, plus project files for building on Windows, Mac and Linux. Just recompile and download.

What it doesn’t produce is the binaries, you still need to build and link with your choice of SDK.

hope this works for you!

Martin

Hi ! Im making my first attempt to run a Pd patch in Wwise. Ive been able to compile my patch and got all the folders that you are talking about. I dont know much about programmation, i do not understand the part

Im trying to open the “build.json” file in the Wwise launcher so it can add the patch as a pluggin, but the launcher says:

“Cannot install from ‘C:\Users\pc\Desktop\wwise’
Cannot find file bundle.json”

Can someone help me out ?

Read the Wwise documentation on the Heavy Github repo.

To learn how to build the plugin, the information you are looking for is at the bottom of the page where it starts with “Compiling the plugin”.

Sorry for the late reply mars. Thank you so much for correcting this.

Hi ! Thanks for your quick answer. As I said, I know almost nothing about programmation. I copied the text you linked in your comment (its full version) in my text editor E-Pyo. I had to install Jinja2 in the cmd prompt for python 2.7. When i try to compile, E-pyo says :

=== Output log of process “Untitled-0.py”, launched: “15 Nov 2018 20:13:50” ===
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\pc.epyo\epyo_tempfile.py”, line 24, in
from …buildjson import buildjson
ValueError: Attempted relative import in non-package

Any idea how to fix that ?

You shouldn’t be using python at this point. The overall big picture process is as follows:

(forgive me I’m doing this off the top of my head)

Requirements:
-VS2015
-Wwise version 2017.2.2.6553 with SDK

1. use rebel technology’s online compiler (you have already done this. You should have a wwise folder now that was produced by the compiler. Inside that wwise folder should be VS2015 folder. Inside that folder should be a .sln project. )

2. open a command prompt and change the directory to the location of the .sln project.
    $ cd …/unity/vs2015

3. run the build script in the command prompt using VS2015
    $ “C:/Program Files (x86)/MSBuild/14.0/Bin/MSBuild.exe” /property:Configuration=Release /property:Platform=x64 /t:Rebuild Hv_heavy_WwiseSourcePlugin.sln /m
    (use the name of your .sln file, not the template one above)

4. if it builds correctly, you will get the plugin binaries in
    wwise/build/win/x64/Release.

5. In that folder you should find:
    HV_{PATCH_NAME}WwiseSourceAuthPlugin.dll
    HV
    {PATCH_NAME}_WwiseSourceAuthPlugin.xml

Take those and put it in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Audiokinetic\Wwise {version number}\Authoring\x64\Release\bin\plugins

1. Depending on what kind of plugin you are making (source, effect, etc.) You should be able to use it in wwise now.

So… That is the down and dirty overview. So how far you get with that and post here if you have some issues. I am planning on making a video for this at some point on my youtube channel Game Audio Guru

1 Like

Ok. I think im getting real close. I did not understand what u meant by

Since im a total non-programmer and since I did not even know about the existence of Visual Studio hahaha. But still, I read in the “Compiling the plugin” section from the link you sent me yesterday that we could “build manualy” : ‘‘A Visual Studio 2015 project exists in the unity/vs2015 directory and the plugin may be built manually. It can also be compiled directly from the commandline’’.

So I chose the ''Release" option in Visual Studio, with the “Rebuild Solution”. It seems to have worked, since I now have the ‘’ wwise/build/win/x64/Release ‘’ , with the HV_{PATCH_NAME}WwiseSourceAuthPlugin.dll and HV{PATCH_NAME}_WwiseSourceAuthPlugin.xml.

I dragged those into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Audiokinetic\Wwise {version number}\Authoring\x64\Release\bin\plugins.
Then I opened the correct Wwise version ( 2017.2.2.6553), added a random container, and went to add my new pluggin in the Effects section.

Problem is that I cant see my new pluggin in there. Im trying to use an example of “Procedural Wind” that I found on your YouTube channel.

Must be something that im missing ?

Good! you’re real close.

The problem is you’re trying to use the plugin the wrong way. procedural wind is a source plugin, not an effect plugin. You’re trying to add it as an effect plugin.

Try creating a sound sfx object. Then for that object, in the contents editor window, click the “add source” button.

The plugin should be in that list.

1 Like

Man. It works.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

THANKS SO MUCH !!

I’ll come back here to share the results of my experimentations ! :smiley:

1 Like

Can this procedure work with Wwise 2018 ?

Excellent! So glad that it worked. Yes it can. BUT you can’t use the rebeltech online compiler. I’m fairly sure its hard coded to that version of wwise.

In my youtube channel I have a video showing you how to use heavy without using rebeltech’s compiler. If you use that method, there is a way to change the wwise version. How to change the wwise version is not in the video, but its easy to find and when you get to that point I can show you.

Hey ! Sorry for the late answer. Busy day.
Im trying to install the “enum” module in PyCharm but it says : AttributeError: module ‘enum’ has no attribute ‘IntFlag’

Any idea why ?

Nm I managed to install it when switching to python 2.7 interpreter in PyCharm

So yeah I succeeded compiling the patch as you showed in your video. So now how do I change the Wwise version, and what file do I need to use after compiling ? :smiley: Thanks !

Sweet! Glad you got that sorted. Okay so you can do this in pycharm or any text editor.

In the hvcc folder look for the c2wwise.py file in the generators folder
On line 58 you can change the wwise/sdk version number to match whatever version you want

Cool ! So now I have the 3 folders : c, hv, ir

I guess I have to run Vs2015 ? What file should I be using next ?

You need to generate the wwise folder.

In the video at 10:50 I show you the script to compile the patch. however you need to add the wwise generator to that script simply by adding “-g wwise”

so your script will look something like:

$ python2.7 hvcc.py ~/myProject/_main.pd -g wwise

This will generate the wwise folder which will have the vs2015 folder inside

Ok cool, trying this right now. In the video the command stops at "_main.pd "