Could not find a connected DFU device

I am using Windows 7 and I am trying to update my OWL. I connects to the OwlNest and I can get and save the settings from and to it. However when I try and update it to the latest firmware at about 16% I get a message saying:

“Could not find a connected DFU device”

I do see the device in the Device Manager as:

“STM Device in DFU Mode”

GENERAL
Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
Device Status: This Device is working properly

DRIVER
Driver Provider: STMicroelectronics
Driver Date: 7/5/2012
Driver: 3.0.4.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Hi, can you tell me what devices you see in owlnest / application settings tab ?
I will get access to my windows 7 computer on wednesday and will look into that.
Thanks

Application Settings: (selected option in square brackets)
Audio Device Type: [Windows Audio] / Direct Sound
Output: OUT (3-DUO CAPTURE EX) / Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device) / [<< none >>]
Active MIDI Inputs: [OWL FS] / 3-DUO-CAPTURE EX
MIDI Output: [OWL FS]

After I try and run the update the pedal goes in DFU Mode (I hear the USB lose and reconnect it). When I open and close OWL Nest the OWL FS Option disappears. If I reset the OWL Pedal OWLNest finds it again.

Just tried it on my wife’s laptop running Windows 8 and I get the same behavior and message.

It might be a windows driver issue. the team is looking into it.

I have the same problem with win8.1

Hi,

I also am having these same symptoms when trying to update firmware
same usb dropout noises and gets to 16% and shows the Could not find a connected DFU device message

on windows vista (i know i know)

OK, reproduced the problem on Windows 7.
We found a solution today (update the driver for the Owl in DFU mode) I’ll edit the wiki and post a link in this thread asap (hopefully today).

Here is the procedure we suggest you to follow:
http://hoxtonowl.com/wiki/Windows_drivers

Let us know if this works for you, with your Windows OS version. Thanks!

Windows Vista test Update!

the procedure worked and I have now sucessfully installed latest firmware via OwlNest.

Slight difference in how the device appears in Zadig:
Device listed as “STM Device in DFU Mode”
and the driver on the left listed as
STTub30 (v3.0.1.0) until its been updated.
Others parts are the same though
USB ID 0483 DF11
WCID X

Thanks for the quick response and fix.

I was able to update as well. Played around a little bit with some of the patches, tried the synthesizer patch. It worked for a few minutes but then it stopped recognizing the notes I was playing, the delay patch I had loaded sounded distorted as well. I tried resetting but all the patches sounded distorted. I will try again tonight. I might have to change the output I put it on my Pedal Power (100 ma vs 250 ma), which leads me to my next question. What is the minimum amount of mA needed to run the Owl reliably?

For power requirements, and also adjusting input sensitivity, please refer to the
Getting Started page.

I’m duplicating this error on linux (Fedora 20) with the message “could not find a connected DFU device” at 16 %. What would the linux workaround be?

Hi, I’m very new to all of this stuff. I got a second-hand OWL from eBay recently, managed to plug it in, but then I attempted to update the firmware and it appears to have done a similar thing to the above. I’ve followed the instructions for the Zadig tool, but the device appears as “OWL FS (interface 0)” and not STM32 BOOTLOADER (which doesn’t appear in the list) - is that a problem? I presumed it wasn’t and updated the USB driver, which went ok. Then attempted to update the firmware but hits 16% and states the “Could not find a connected DFU device” message. Not really sure how to proceed. I think I’ve launched non-DFU mode (the LED flashes red once as per the instructions at least). Power cycling where the LED flashes red three times doesn’t seem to happen.

I’ve opened the box, and it’s a rev004 unit, but hoping I don’t need to use the wires!!!

@oberdada: on Linux, you usually have to run OwlNest as root (sudo) for DFU access to work.
Upgrade to the latest v10, swap to using OwlNest instead of OwlControl, and then, with any luck, you’ll never have to DFU again!

@stereosmiles: it’s fine that it appears as OWL FS, that is normal when it’s in MIDI mode. What OwlNest does is send a MIDI command to put the device into DFU mode. It should then disconnect as USB MIDI, and re-appear as a DFU device.
On Windows this usually works… But sometimes not.
Holding the LED pushbutton down while powercycling should make the device flash red three times then go blank as it enters DFU mode directly. If that doesn’t happen you might have an early device without a valid bootloader. What does OwlNest tell you if you click Device Info?

The upgrade to owlware v10 seems to have worked, but now the pedal is unresponsive. Its led is red and doesn’t change when pressed. Nor does it get contact with OwlNest. Am I missing something obvious?

Did you get the file with OwlNest, using Tools/Download Firmware from Server?
It should have downloaded a file called OwlWare-v10-pedal.bin, of size 254312 bytes.
If you’ve got another file (e.g. the .syx from GitHub), or if it has a different size, pls remove and download again, using OwlNest.

Once the upgrade is successful, the OWL should come up with a green LED. OwlNest will no longer connect unless you change the MIDI input and output in Application Settings: there should be an OWL-MIDI option if the device is recognised correctly.

Once on v10, have a look at Documentation / Getting Started
http://hoxtonowl.com/wiki/Getting_Started_With_OWL_Pedal
and pls start using OwlControl instead of OwlNest
http://hoxtonowl.com/wiki/OwlControl

Sorry if this all seems terribly complicated, but a lot of things changed with the last firmware. Once upgraded, everything will be much, much easier!