Faust Tutorial Series Announcement

After asking @mars and @antisvin I created one Faust Tutorial to help anyone to get started working with Faust and OWL. It can be found here: GitHub Repo

I am planning to turn this into a series and make more tutorials and will gladly accept ideas and requests. Feedback to the first one is also welcomed.

Have fun and make some noise!

2 Likes

I don’t really have requests, but plenty of ideas (maybe too much of them):

• feedback, various options for delay syntax, how to use it for Karplus-Strong synthesis
  • panning, mixing, amplitude and loudness
  • envelope followers, compressors, side chain compression
  • making a MIDI voice
  • making a CV-controlled voice
  • audio rate modulation: AM, RM, FM, PM
  • different filter shapes
  • comb filters and allpass filters
  • wavetable oscillators (with wavetable morphing, no less!)
  • bandlimited oscillators
  • bitcrushing and samplerate reduction
  • noise, noise colors, chaotic oscillators
  • using sample buffers
  • filter banks and vocoders
  • vowel synthesis
  • physical modeling
  • most common delay based effects: delay, chorus, flanger, pitch shifter
  • allpass filter based effects: phaser, barberpole phaser, frequency shifter
  • reverbs

I think this would be enough to keep you busy writing tutorials during Covid-20 (that started from Danish minks) and at least half of Covid-21(from Mexican hedgehogs, to be announced later).

great stuff, thanks @JZerbian!

The prettier version of your tutorial on the documentation site is here: https://www.openwarelab.org/Faust/FaustTutorial1_GettingStarted.html

If you’ve got a copy of the example code in the patch library then let’s add a link to that too!

I created a patch with the finished result.

1 Like

Happy New Year with a happy new Faust Tutorial. The second tutorial shows how to implement a basic VCA and how to use the CV outputs (on the Lich) with an envelope follower.

Have fun and make some noise.

1 Like

Thanks for not giving up too quickly, @JZerbian! Any specific plans for the next part?

I’ve just made a PR to add index to tutorials in our main FAUST doc. So for each part you could do something like this:

1. Create directory Faust/Tutorial/NN_TutorialName
  2. Write tutorial in Faust/Tutorial/NN_TutorialName/README.md
  3. Add a patch Faust/Tutorial/NN_TutorialName/PatchName.dsp
  4. Add tutorial link in tutorials index in Faust/README.md
  5. Link from patcher to github - I think it’s better to link to pinginasty/OpenWareLab repository in this case. This way your entries in web patcher would display latest version stored in main repo and they’ll get synchronized if we have to change anything
1 Like

Great stuff, thank you both!

So with these update, the tutorials are best accessed from this page.