[feature request] Sample rate change

It will be nice if we could low the sample rate to increase delay time, is it possible ?

It’s not been a high priority but it’s definitely possible to implement this. The codec is called WM8731 and supports sampling rates from 8 kHz to 96 kHz.

I’ve created an issue: Support variable sample rates · Issue #24 · pingdynasty/OwlWare · GitHub

Meanwhile you could try down/up-sampling inside the patch. I don’t know gen~ but maybe you can write every other sample into the buffer, then when reading use interpolation to fill in the gaps?

As a musician I am interested to have longer delays possible and downsampling will be a good choice, lofi is always a good friend :blush:
I’m a Max/Msp advanced user but I’m yet not so expert in gen~, I’ll try something and let you know.
Anyway, is there a way to upgrade the Owl Pedal ram to a greater one ?

Thanks.

Hey Perk,
I’m not sure what you mean by longer delays possible but destructive (aliasing) downsampling is not very difficult. I think Max has [downsamp~] and gen has an example in Max7 (search for bitrcrush in max file browser) which is a simple bitcrusher. Basically it all works based on a sample and hold unit that is triggered at the rate you want to downsample to, effectively holding and overwriting samples in your buffer for the duration between triggers.
If you want downsampling without aliasing you’re facing some more difficult implementations: you will want to further bandlimit your discrete input (anti-aliasing filter before downsampling e.g. lowpass) before downsampling to avoid reflecting higher frequency content of your input back into audible range when downsampling causing aliasing distortion.

HTH.
Cheers,
Ben

Thanks for the reply, Ben.
Actually I would like to reduce the sample speed, not the bit resolution, to achieve more delay time as we use to do in older samplers as Roland S.550. For example, if we have 125000 samples of delay time @48000 Khz shall be cool if we could set S/R to @24000 Khz to achieve 250000 samples. The aliasing will not be a big deal to fix in some way.

Sorry for my bad english :wink:

Cheers

Sure, i think we mean the same thing by downsampling… I was not referring to lowering bit depth resolution but rather changing the sample rate of an already sampled signal. So drop the SR from 44.1kHz to 11025Hz or for example. In old samplers the codec often didnt support high SRs like ADCs do today. So yeah, if you can deal with aliasing in a patch, then your good.

Let me know if I completely misunderstood you… :slight_smile:

Later,
Ben