[Firmware Request] Easier Patch Selection

So this is kinda selfish, but I don’t use any of the default patches, so if there could be a way to switch between the four user patches easier and faster than flipping through the 80 other patches, I’d be very appreciative!

1 Like

I think it’s a good suggestion. With the new OpenWare firmware, all slots will be user patches and you can decide exactly how many patches you want.
Question is: with a variable number of patches, how would switching patches work?
At the moment we have a bank select, and patch select knob. Using the patch list cheat sheet it is relatively easy to find a patch this way.
If instead you have only 4, or 8, or… 23 patches, how would they be selected?
Should we still have banks of 8?
Should there be fixed positions for banks and patch numbers, e.g. 12 o’clock is always bank 2 / patch 4?
Or should the patches and banks be evenly distributed over the full pot range?

Well, I think having too many options is a good problem to have! I would say the most accessible way, and the way I’d do it, would be to use one knob rather than two to select the bank. It’d be easier to keep track of that way.

Using your UI, you could let the user decide if each of the banks had 4, 6, or 8 patches (depending on patch size). This way, when holding down the Push button, each of the four knobs would allow the user to scroll through a bank and flash according to the divisions. Considering Owl users are limited to 4 user patches currently, I think very few people would need more than 32 unique patches at a time. I think it’d be much easier (for me, at least) to remember that the patch I want is knob 3, all the way to the right, or knob 4 all the way to the left, instead of counting flashes between two knobs.

I’m sure there are simpler ideas, but that’s what I came up with.