First patch: Shimmer Reverb

Hi there,

I bought an used Owl pedal on ebay a few days ago, an so far I love it. Thanks for the awesome work on this. I’ve been able to get OwlControl and OwlProgram working on Ubuntu 16.04 without struggling too much and compile Faust code right away (I’m mainly a Faust developer).

Here is my first patch for : https://hoxtonowl.com/patch-library/patch/Owlgazer_Shimmer_Reverb

It’s a 4 delay lines FDN reverb with some allpass filters in series for diffusion. It’s based after an audio plugin I’m working on (Moongazer Shimmer Reverb (demo) - YouTube). I took the dsp part of it and tried to compile it as is on the Owl. It was taking WAY to much cpu and memory so I had to do some optimizations and remove a lot of small things (LFOs, filtering…), and I managed to get something working under 100% cpu. It still lacks at least one allpass filters and I would love to had some modulation on the delay lines, but everything I tried get me to at least to 130% cpu. I’ll try to do another version of it without the shimmer in order to get a better pure reverb.

Cheers!
Xavier

Just added a new one : https://hoxtonowl.com/patch-library/patch/Owlgazer_Dirty_Reverb
I removed the shimmer on this one, and I was able to make the diffusion slightly better in my opinion. And I had cpu room to add a distortion stage on the reverb tail, which give a nice chaotic sound.

Thanks for publishing this Xavier, that’s awesome! Just tried it out on the modular:

If you upload the .dsp file then the online compiler will take care of compiling it for you (though if you change files through the Patch Edit page you probably have to manually change compilation type too). That way you can edit, compile and test the FAUST code directly in the browser :smile:

For the factory patches we always put Mix (or Dry/Wet) on parameter D, and for reverbs we have Room size on A. You’re free to assign them any way you like, but it’s nice to be consistent! :wink:

I’m gonna try the dirty reverb now on the OWL Pedal plugged into a Prophet 5 :metal:

Thanks for trying it! It sounds really cool, although the reverb tail is not very homogeneous. I can hear that pretty well at the end of your video. It should be slightly better with the dirty reverb, with the extra allpass in series. I’ll try other reverb topologies next, because FDNs are more cpu intensive.

I just uploaded and compiled the .dsp files directly, and I also updated the patches to put the mix on parameter D, thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

I think I know what you mean, there’s definitely a discernible period to the shimmer, Makes it sound a bit more ‘delay’ than ‘reverb’ perhaps. Either way it’s still beautiful!
Here’s a 30 sec video with the dirty verb: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZtmAaLnvIA/

Really cool too! That prophet is a beast!
Yes, that’s what I’m talking about, this kind of periodic artifacts. Usually, I add some modulation or random values on the delay lines and it definitely helps to smooth the whole thing.