Lich Faust Flute

Yay! Lich DIY arrived last week. After a fun build session got it installed in the rack and whipped up a flute model in Faust. Actually, it’s just a simple adaptation of the demo flute model that comes with the standard Faust distribution, but man, it’s fun! Check it out here: https://www.rebeltech.org/patch-library/patch/faust_flute

Lich is great! Just what I was missing in my rack :wink:

2 Likes
  1. You can also output CV from FAUST patches, i.e. you can send envelope that is used or maybe add an envelope follower to the actual signal.

2. [unit:Hz][scale:exp] - this currently does nothing, we can’t really do anything useful with info about units. But we probably can support scaling eventually.

3. freq = sample2hertz(tune) * 0.297307; - what’s that multiplication for?

Regarding patch not working in browser - I think this could be happening because V/Oct calibration must be read from device when patch runs, so it can’t be used in browser. Otherwise maybe @mars should investigate this.

Great idea! I’ll give it a shot in my next coding spree.

That explains why FaustIDE scales exponentially but the Lich does not…

To scale the default A tuning to C, one octave lower. I use 0V as C for all my modules. I guess I could have the fine-tune range a bit bigger so that both C and A fit. Though I do prefer to have a precise fine tune button for accurate tuning…

Ok, there’s an easier way to change tuning. That “tune” parameter is just an offset in octaves, so what you could do is add 0.25 to its values to retune it from A to C (+ 3 / 12 semitones). If you want to tune octave down, substract 1 from that. So -0.75 would retune it from A to C an octave below.

tune = hslider("Tune[OWL:D]", -0.75, -0.85, -0.65, 0.0001);
freq = sample2hertz(tune);
2 Likes

Nice. Thanks for your help!

Any idea what the name of the CV outputs is in Faust? I tried a couple, like [OWL:E], but none seem to work.

Actually, they are parameters F & G. You’ve seen the OWL FAUST docs with usage examples, right?

You mean this one, right? OpenWareLab/04Output.dsp at master · pingdynasty/OpenWareLab · GitHub

It works with [OWL:F]!

There seems to be a bug in the patch editor: when I edit my flute patch (the faust code), and ‘Save and Compile’, after compilation was successful, the code is reverted to the old version. When loading the patch on the Lich, it is the new version though. Also, when editing and saving (no compile), the code seems to be there, but when reloading the page, it also reverts to the old code.

EDIT: it seems to be a caching problem. Clearing browser data solves it.

Sweet!

Did you try the Faust Clarinet?

That clarinet patch is from the time before they’ve made a dedicated physical modeling library. This new lib uses code that is a bit more high level compared to the old STK port.

I’ll try to create a patch with the model from the PM package. Hopefully that model is tuned, because I had to manually tune the flute model. The PM package says that it’s not tuned ‘and we’re not sure why’ :slight_smile:

There was a problem with using buttons when running a patch in the browser, I’ve fixed this now and have also upgraded to latest emscripten version on the server. Actually this upgrade has been very long overdue, because installing emscripten on a server is not much fun.

So flute now runs in the browser. But it’s not sounding very flute like!

I’m terrified to find out what does it sound like. Tuba? Pink trombone?

Haha! It’s a couple of octaves too low and the knobs for some reason are all at 35. So, if you put all knobs on 50%, then it sounds like a bass flute :smiley:
I could tune it a couple of octaves higher, but then it would be very annoying in my rack, because my sequencer does not go low enough in voltage to allow for this bass sound (which is the one I use most btw… I think it has a nice timbre, especially with a bit of breath noise modulation).
I could also use one of the knobs for coarse tuning instead of having only knob D for fine tuning, but I would personally never use that knob…

Doesn’t work in the browser either…

Maybe an idea for the browser is to have some way of V/Oct input? Playing ‘Jazz Guitar’ through the flute gives some pretty weird results, but adding some DC waves there could be a start?

1 Like