My Lich is just a struggle

I have had my Lich for a few weeks to a month and the entire time trying to work with it has just been agony. It makes me sad because there are so many cool things that can be done with it, I just don’t know if I’m missing something or if I have an especially fucked up unit or what.

After I built my lich I tried to calibrate, could not calibrate, cue hours and hours of looking over my solder job and the schematic before finding and digging through the forum and finding out that the owl board I was sent has a firmware that just does not work with the Lich.

something like 20 or 30 firmware flashes later, not an exaggeration, I had a calibrated unit and could start putting patches on and messing with it. Since then I have worked with it for extended periods on 5 or 6 occasions and it has always gone the same way. Most of these sessions have been between 1 and 3 cycles of me loading up and messing with patches before the Lich decides it’s going to flush and/or corrupt its memory before I have to spend an extended period flashing and erasing memory before it decides it wants to work and calibrate again, and somewhere along the line I just give up and stop using the module at all.

I’m frustrated right now so a couple things here might be very very minor exaggerations here but this basically my entire experience with the module. Am I in the minority here? Am I doing something wrong? Am I just supposed to do this over and over until I have a solid lists of patches that actually load and function and then never plug it into my pc again? I’m just about done, so any sort of suggestions would be appreciated because the potential of this module is awesome and the reality of it has been a fruitless major time sink.

I’m sorry you’ve had a hard time. I’m also somewhat new to OWL by way of Lich and had a few of the issues you experienced. I my case, my Lich kit included a bad potentiometer that made the Lich unusable. I couldn’t calibrate it and flashing new firmware, which is a pretty painless process with the web tool, didn’t resolve my issues. So I finally did some tests and realized that one pot was just not tracking values correctly. I contacted Befaco and they just sent me a new pot. That resolved my ability to calibrate and use the module effectively.

You apparently have other issues but contacting Befaco for support might be your best option.

EDIT:
The only other advice I could give you is that OWL is a development platform that is being developed by a small company with limited resources. You need to be careful that the patches you upload to your module do not exceed it’s memory or processor. Stick to patches specifically developed for the Lich. Also, not every language/platform that OWL “supports” is “fully supported”. You’re responsible for identifying the limitations and optimizing your patches.

That’s not really an issue. There’s literally just 1 patch in the library that is intended to run on more powerful hardware (Genius), everything else should be compatible with Lich. Of course some of them won’t match with available physical controls (i.e. Magus has 20 parameters that can be configured as input or outputs), but performance should not be a problem.

Thanks for the clarification antisvin. Lich can defiantly handle most of the public patches in the Patch Library. The comment about making sure not to exceed the processor was really aimed at any code/patches that op might be developing.

It still seems like it might be a good idea for iidexic to test official patches tagged with Lich and simple test patches, to help debug hardware issues.

I made this post while i was just really frustrated and I might just delete it if there’s a way to as it’s not very constructive.

As far as my unit goes, the build is correct and now that I’ve decided to stick to an older build completely I’m hoping I will at least have a working unit. This older build seems to not have the corruption problem but I guess time will tell.

It does seem like there are quite a lot of patches that will either cause the lich to error out or cause other issues when loaded and I’m not sure what to do about that.

I don’t think it’s necessary to delete the post, it’s better to wait for @mars to see it.

Btw, if you’re running older firmware version, at some point of time there was a regression that caused a failure when loading patches from storage (somehow they didn’t fail if they were loaded to memory from the web patcher). It was fixed in newer releases, but they have some other problems. I think that V/Oct calibration might be not possible at the moment among other things. Hopefully this would be resolve in the next firmware update.