New Device page

Hi all,

as promised we’ve created a new page in the patch library section of the website to let you do some device management:

As usual, this requires Web MIDI to work, and therefore either the Chrome browser or a plugin to give you MIDI support in your browser of choice.

To start with the page offers fairly limited options, but you can quickly see what patches are on the device and erase the onboard storage to make room for more. Note that deleting individual patch slots does not yet work on all devices!

We will be adding more configuration options, both to the firmware and to the device page. Let us know if there’s anything in particular that you are missing.

1 Like

Martin,

Kudos to the team for this update during what I understand is a busy period. Super nice UI.

The live CPU usage meter and real-time update while loading patches into RAM are immediately useful.

A firmware option desired is setting a specific MIDI channel for listening in addition to the default “Omni-channel” mode.

Bug report: Despite your warning about individual slot delete, I clicked the Delete icon and seemed to have corrupted the slots for the Wizard. It now loads with a red LED on device and the device page connect with “Program Error 0x60 Failed to start program task” with only a RAM slot available. Perhaps this function should be removed until ready.

Cheers,
Yonatan

1 Like

Noted!
Working on some improvements now.

I’m getting an error in Chrome for the “Connect to Device” button on both Device and individual patch pages for past couple of days now:

Failed to Connect to Owl

First suspected this might be due to firmware update v.20.4 on Alchemist but I confirmed with non-updated Wizard, different USB cables and another computer.

Could it be a recent update broke this functionality?

In Chrome console, isConnected() method evaluates to false with nulls for WebMIDI ports:
isConnected: false, connectedMidiInputPort: null, connectedMidiOutputPort: null

Here is the relevant MidiInput object for the OWL device:

connection: "closed" id: "72CE213585B8132B5BB66A82BA01EA939B4D62523692A651970FA6B291F06F83" manufacturer: "Rebel Technology" name: "OWL-BOOT MIDI 1" onmidimessage: null onstatechange: null state: "connected" type: "input" version: "ALSA library version 1.1.6" __proto__: MIDIInput

I notice name attribute looks for “OWL-BOOT MIDI 1” though the device is not in boot mode, but entered this mode makes no difference.

amidi -l gives the device name as “OWL-MIDI MIDI 1” when connected.

Please let me know if there’s other information to provide.

Cheers,
Yonatan

That’s odd - what we have in file owlCmd.js is:
owlCmd.js: if (...name.match('^OWL-MIDI'))

We were planning to change this to match('^OWL-') to allow connections also to the bootloader.

Did you already try clearing the browser cache?

Hi,
This is really useful(!

after loading various broken patches with v20.2, then upgrading to version v20.4, the devices were still giving errors. The device page came to the rescue! Did both reset and erase and it helped both the 0x60 and 0x70 errors that I got. Will write more about remaining and new issues in the new release thread.

An idea: Could, since the device page discovers devices in boot mode, also send the updates to them? That would be convenient!

Thanks!
Johan

Possible bug report - for me this device page no longer displays my Wizard’s currently loaded patches or the CPU %. I swear it used to but perhaps I have it wrong. Is this a website change or is it because I upgraded my Wizard’s firmware from 20.7 to 21.2.2?

You’re using Chrome here, right?
And if you click REFRESH, no difference?

Sorry, this was a false alarm it seems! I’m using Chrome on the same machine where this worked on Nov 7, and since then I thought the only thing that I thought changed on my end was the firmware version on my Wizard. Turns out there’s been one new version of Chrome made available since then, and accepting Chrome’s request to update has fixed this for me. I can now see the patches and CPU usage. Before there weren’t even any JS errors in the console, it simply didn’t load. Easy fixed anyway. Thanks for the fast reply.

1 Like