OWL Firmware Release v13

Edit: use v14 instead!
https://community.rebeltech.org/t/owl-firmware-release-v14

Yay, new firmware release!

You can find v13 for download here: Releases · pingdynasty/OwlWare · GitHub

To upgrade from a recent version of the firmware (v10 or later), follow the instructions at the bottom of the OwlControl instructions.

New features include:

• firmware includes fast pow, exp and log lookup tables
  • new GET ARRAY service call
  • supports device-independent V13 patches
  • LED update changes (fixes GitHub issues #20 and #21)

The factory patches remain the same.

Have fun!

Thanks! I’ll try the fast pow asap as it will probably help me on some patches.

I just updated the firmware to the v13.
When I try to compile a faust patch with OwlProgram (master branch up to date) I have these errors now:

In file included from ./Build/registerpatch.h:1:0,
                 from ./Source/PatchProgram.cpp:8:
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp: In constructor 'FaustPatch::FaustPatch()':
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp:837:50: error: no matching function for call to 'mydsp::classInit(int, OwlMemoryManager*)'
       mydsp::classInit(int(getSampleRate()), &mem);
                                                  ^
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp:600:14: note: candidate: static void mydsp::classInit(int)
  static void classInit(int samplingFreq) {
              ^
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp:600:14: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp: In destructor 'virtual FaustPatch::~FaustPatch()':
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp:848:31: error: no matching function for call to 'mydsp::classDestroy(OwlMemoryManager*)'
       mydsp::classDestroy(&mem);
                               ^
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp:602:14: note: candidate: static void mydsp::classDestroy()
  static void classDestroy() {
              ^
./Build/Source/FaustPatch.hpp:602:14: note:   candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided
compile.mk:98 : la recette pour la cible « Build/PatchProgram.o » a échouée
make[1]: *** [Build/PatchProgram.o] Erreur 1
Makefile:88 : la recette pour la cible « patch » a échouée
make: *** [patch] Erreur 2

If I rollback to an older commit on the master branch, it works correctly. I do a make clean each time.

Ah, yes the update requires a more recent version of faust.

There are several options. You can let faust use its own version of the owl.cpp architecture file, by changing faust.mk to:

FAUSTCC ?= faust2owl

and

@$(FAUSTCC) -I $(PATCHSOURCE) -i -inpl -mem $< -o $@

Or you can copy architecture/owl.cpp from your faust installation to your OwlProgram FaustCode directory.

Or, if you can, upgrade your faust installation. I’m not sure right now which release implements the change required but on the live server we are running Version 0.12.0, built from faust master-dev branch.

… and maybe have a quick look at these threads

I’m also using the master-dev branch of faust. I just had to pull to the last commit and it worked. Thank you!

Oh no, copy-paste error on the release page!
The correct checksum is:
OwlWare-v13-Modular.syx: 0xc542d9d9

Argh, it’s all gone terribly wrong!

With some upgrades, v13 produces a terrible noise superimposed on the signal. A little bug managed to creep in and mess with the sample conversion code.

Please don’t use this release: use v14 instead!

Can initial forum postings be edited? Would be good to have the link to V14 already up in the first post of this thread. Minor issue, ergonomic only.

1 Like

good suggestion - done!