OWL Module Documentation

Here are some questions I posted by email and the responses. It was suggested that I post them here for the interest of all.

>
> A couple of questions I couldn’t clean from the docs:
>
> The schematics online appear to be for the pedal. Do you have schematics for the module?
>
… I’ll find out where they are…
>
> What’s the function of the A, B, C, D, and expression jacks? The getting started mentions them as inputs but the s and r items in the pd template suggest dual usage like trs
>
I think Yuli did the template that way so that you can change the values when you run the patch in PD.
A-D CV inputs are attenuated by the second row of knobs, then added to the manual setting / top row values
>
> Are CV inputs protected for over-voltage and what voltage range is active?
>
Yes they are. With the manual and cv knobs in middle position I think you get apprx ±5v effective range
>
> What’s the function of the 2 ‘push’ jacks?
>
The idea is that you have a trigger input/output for the push button function. Patches can implement different uses of the push button, both getting the state (pressed, green, red) and changing the colour, although this has not been extensively used yet. In PD this doesn’t get propagated yet.

Actually… If you have a moment, do you mind re-posting these questions on the hoxtonowl forum? I think they’re interesting to others, and it’ll put the extra bit of pressure on me to update the docs properly!

Also, saw mention in another thread that the audio ins and outs are DC-coupled. Is that true? Certainly could be of use.

Thanks Gary!

Yes the OWL Modular has DC coupled audio in/out.

This is used in some oscillator patches to track 1v/octave and/or amplitude, and since it’s at audio rate you can do FM and AM.

The Pizzicator and Wave Multiplier also output CV on the audio outputs.

OWL Modular schematics and BOM now up on GitHub

Thanks! The schematic and the info on coupling clarify matters quite a bit.

A practical example of how to generate a trigger or CV-lfo in PD would be appreciated. Do I just send an audio signal to a [dac~] object? Like square pulse for a trigger? How will this ever be +5v (or even +7V what I need for triggering my doepfer A147-2 delay reset?) What does DC-coupled; actually mean?

DC coupled means that if you output a static, non-zero value then the output stays at a fixed, non-zero voltage. That might seem obvious, but almost all audio outputs are AC coupled which means that the output voltage always swings back to zero volt by itself, and only signals above a certain frequency (typically 10-20Hz) will make it through.
So DC coupled is really important for CV outputs!

For a trigger output you use s Channel-Push, see e.g. the “improved PD template”:

1 Like

Lich Schematic here:-

hi Gary, you still around ?