OWL not responding after firmware upgrade

Hi,

I used OWLControl to upgrade the firmware from 11 to 12 (I thought). I was able to upload new patches from the computer after the operation, and everything seemed normal. Today when I power my modular, I get a blinking red light and OWLControl is giving me Bus Error 0x20. The OWL does not pass signal (except uneffected while in DFU) mode.

Help?

Thanks.

Best,
Jj

Hi there Jj,

sounds like you’re just defaulting to an invalid patch, probably in a user slot (programs 37 to 40). Try changing to one of the factory patches, or do a ‘Factory Reset’ in OwlControl.

(Factory Reset puts the gain settings back to default, and sets the default patch to 1: Jot Reverb)

OWLControl doesn’t seem to be communicating with my OWL anymore, either from a Mac or from a PC. OWLControl also doesn’t see the OWL MIDI port though I see the USB device from device manager. All that happens is the LED blinking. Factory Reset, Device Info and Load From OWL buttons just hang.

I think I may be needing a method of recovering via DFU.

Okay, it seems to have fixed itself? I’m not questioning it. I’m just happy.

Glad it works for you!
Maybe just a loose usb connection?

That would not account for the LED blinking/incommunicado behavior regardless of whether the cable was plugged or un-. I think you’re right about a corrupted transfer. I seem to have a phantom program stuck before the presets. See screenshot…

Okay, the blinking and non-communicating is back after a power cycle. Again, symptoms:

1. LED just flashes red.
  2. OWLControl software status light stays red, hangs when issued commands (Factory Reset, Device Info, Load From OWL)
  3. I can send Sysex files to the OWL but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

I have tried using a different USB cable, different MIDI port, Resending the firmware, uploading different patches to the OWL. I do see the OWL Midi output in the Application settings, but no MIDI input.

It is weird that it started working again and is now back to the same non-communicative behavior. Anythoughts, please? Thanks.

Best,
Jj

Can you change patch by holding down the pushbutton for 3 secs?

No. Just blinking LED.

Okay so you can try doing a firmware upgrade in DFU mode.
To enter DFU mode you would usually hold down the pushbutton when you power on the device. You should see three red LED flashes then it goes dark.
However if the bootloader is also damaged then you may have to force DFU mode. Instructions are here:
https://hoxtonowl.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hardware_DFU