OWL Pedal Build Error

Hi Everyone!

So I recently purchased the OWL pedal and followed the instructions from this repository: GitHub - pingdynasty/OwlWare: Firmware for the OWL programmable effects pedal.

When I run the make command I end up with this error and I am not sure what is going on. Maybe I am not doing something correctly or did not set up correctly. I am very new to this but and any help would be much appreciated!

(Ignore the red colour thats just how i set up my terminal :D)

I’m not sure why make is upset about the stdlib files you’ve got (maybe a path problem?..), but I don’t think you need to build the firmware to use the pedal

Is there any particular reason why you’re building this firmware? Would be interesting to hear if you’re planning to do something cool with it. Note that this legacy firmware that pretty much doesn’t get updated - so you won’t gain much by building it yourself unless you plan to add something to it.

The new firmware is in OpenWare repo. It supports multiple devices, not just Owl. But some features from Owl have not being added (specifically, patch switching from button press). But it also adds more features (you can overwrite any patch, not just last 4) and development is at least slowly moving forward.

Regarding your issue, I’ve noticed that I’ve been disabling this macro definition when I was trying to build it a long time ago:

diff --git a/Source/Owl.h b/Source/Owl.h
index 95cd3a9..81c4167 100644
--- a/Source/Owl.h
+++ b/Source/Owl.h
@@ -17,9 +17,9 @@
 #ifndef max
 #define max(a,b) ((a)>(b)?(a):(b))
 #endif /* max */
-#ifndef abs
-#define abs(x) ((x)>0?(x):-(x))
-#endif /* abs */
+//#ifndef abs
+//#define abs(x) ((x)>0?(x):-(x))
+//#endif /* abs */

void audioCallback(int16_t *src, int16_t *dst);
void setButton(uint8_t bid, uint16_t state);

So looks like I had to do it because it created conflict with stdlib function. I’ve just confirmed that undoing it gives me the same error that you’ve had. However, I get different kind of error even if I disable it (related to FloatParameter class and other errors).

I’ll see if I can figure out why it’s broken, otherwise we’ll have to wait for @mars to have a look at this

@mars, it looks like current master branch of OwlPatches import Stompbox.h, but they use some features that are present in Patch class that is defined not there, but in Patch.h. That’s at least getFloatParameter. Also import of basicmath.h is required (for exp10f in one of the patches). So currently building legacy firmware with master branch of OwlPatches doesn’t work if you follow README file guidelines.

@antisvin To answer your question, I’m currently exploring if I could build some GUI, or some interface along those lines that will make using this product very easy for the general guitarist/musician.

That being said I’m not even sure where to start in creating my own patches so if I could be pointed to the right sources and direction to start doing that. I was just sent the pedal and the link to the GitHub so kind of thrown in to the deepens but I’m not really sure how to use the pedal and how to get started building my own patches.

@antisvin Essentially I would like to be able to build patches in both C/C++ and MAX GEN so that I can eventually develop a source that allows people to get up and running with the pedal easily. Personally, I would like to start developing with C/C++ because I am a programmer and a musician and I would first like to make the link between those two worlds for me, if that makes sense.

Also for some reason for me this website is not working: http://hoxtonowl.com/software/owlnest. So I would like to figure out how to access the patches already on the device and how I can compile them on to the the device from C/C++ file.

@hezi_TheBunny , if you want to build patches, you should be using official web patch builder . And have a look at tutorials here

If you want to build patches from desktop and upload them to device without using browser, you can use the underlying software backend - GitHub - pingdynasty/OwlProgram: Dynamically loaded OWL program . That’s what I personally prefer.

http://hoxtonowl.com has been shut down for a while, I’m not sure why there are people that keep coming asking about it. I haven’t used OwlNest (not sure why), but it can be downloaded or built from GitHub - pingdynasty/OwlNest: OwlNest is an application for tweaking the Owl pedal settings.</titl . There’s also another one that I think could be a replacement for it - GitHub - pingdynasty/OwlControl: Client application for the OWL

They are both not actively maintained and were written for old firmware. For new firmware, there’s an actively developed webmidi based UI: GitHub - pingdynasty/OwlWebControl for multiple devices.