USB connection

Hello,

I am trying to get the owl digital board to show up with dfu-util on linux (or windows, having trouble on both). I have connected the usb power pins to power the board over usb. I have also connected the boot pins to the 3.3 and gnd pins as suggested in the docs. However when i plug in the usb to my computer and run dfu-util -l it does not list anything. It just shows the information like the dfu util version and information that is not specific to a device.

Is there something I am missing for setting this up to connect via usb. I am simply trying to get the firmware loaded onto the device so that I can get some audio running through it! But i am having trouble getting this set up.

Thank you,
Kevin

Also when trying to do the firmware update through OwlNest and OwlControl, however it is not recognizing the device when it is plugged in.

I noticed at a second look that there are two spots for the power pins. One is right next to IC1 and the other is connected to the codec. When powering over usb, should USB_VBUS be connected to the 5v input next to the codec or the IC1? Will this affect the device being recognized at all?

Thank you,
Kevin

Okay, got it working. It was just me being dumb, and i just had to change out my usb cable. After that it allowed me to see it with dfu-util -l. Also i ran into some problems with the make for owlware. I was able to fix them by 1)making sure all of the extra stuff is installed, and 2)using sudo make for some of the make commands that were not working.

Hey Kevin, glad you got it working. To answer your questions: the two sets of power connections are interchangeable and connected to each other on the board. +5v is an input, +3.3v is generated on the OWL Digital board itself.
And yes on some flavours of Linux you have to run dfu-util as root, for some reason! I guess it requires low level access. I think there’s some suid method to avoid it, but not sure about the details.