Website is down

4 Likes

Down again! Somebody forgot the second part of “Did you try turning it off and on again” :joy:

One message is enough to report this

2 Likes

Now it’s back, but certificate expired. And, when ignoring that in Chrome, some API calls fail so I can’t edit / compile presets. Don’t want to be pushy, but I’m blocked. I tried the offline method, but cannot get it to work on my mac…

Well you can be pushy or not, but it would hardly make any difference. This gets solved once someone who has access to server can restart it, because apparently it doesn’t happen automatically on certificate renewal (even though it should, in theory). Best thing to do to avoid frustration whenever they get another outage would be by figuring out why you have problems with building/flashing patches offline, since there are MacOS users who manage to do it.

I would very much like to be able to do that. Do you have pointers how this could be set up? I found Howl - Self Contained Build Environment for OWL - #33 by bfabricius here, but that doesn’t seem to want to work on my M1 mac. Are there other solutions?

Start from the official docs and if it doesn’t work for you then create a new thread with detailed information about the error that you get. If you run into some issues that you solve yourself, documenting it on forum could help others. And just to help you avoid some confusion, it seems like ARM-GCC v13.x might not be usable, 12.x or older should be OK.

2 Likes

Site is back! Just in time for me :smiley:. That was a scare…
Now I really want to make the offline version working…

Anyone set up the offline environment using VirtualBox on Windows? Don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I’ve got a spare Mac and old Linux box sitting there but would rather unload those.

1 Like

I got it mostly working in my Mac, following the ‘official docs’ linked above by @antisvin . The only issue is that Faust patches don’t work, because the online version uses some unknown really old version of Faust and apparently the memory management or something changed. Patches compile, but nothing but noisy garbage is produced by the Lich when uploaded.

It should be possible to update Faust though, don’t you think? Haven’t tried it myself (in this context) but I’ve done both “sudo apt install faust” on Ubuntu as well as building it from source a few times. For reference, I’ve only tried it in the last few months with an Owl Modular so don’t have any perspective on the Lich.

Hi there,
@mars seems like the web is down again,
Best,

1 Like

anybody knows what’s going on ?
https://www.rebeltech.org/patch-library/patches/ not being accessible is quite unfortunate :neutral_face:

1 Like

Not a clue @per , but its pretty annoying, isn’t it! :angry: Hopefully just is everyone is on vacation or something (or at Synth East?) - and that it doesn’t mean the end of RebelTech and all the their product support :frowning: .
My fingers are crossed!

Yeah I hope this doesn’t go the way of Axoloti, where the site + forums disappeared without any message/warning from the dev.

Luckily these forums are still up, but unfortunately the RebelTech site and patch-library are not particularly robust and this downtime happens quite regularly.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Docker container for building patches

is there a repository where all the patches are collected which were available through the rebeltech/patches website ? ( i think there were approximately 400 patches )
thanks

They are stored on their server (that is down at the moment), there’s no version control for them so there can’t be an actual repo. Also, it’s possible that some of them won’t build as is due to C++ API changes over years (it’s usually backwards compatible, but likely not in 100% cases).

It wouldn’t be too hard to download all patch binaries once the library is back as their URLs can be extracted from a single JSON file IIRC. Flashing patches requires sending a few extra Sysex commands first to specify that it should be flashed in a specific slot, etc. I actually considered making an utility to do exactly that (sync patch binaries from OWL server to local machine and allow flashing them to a connected device). Not sure if this outage will be enough to motivate me to finish this :wink:

Btw, I’ve send messages to Martin & Manu about this 3 days ago - no response yet, but I guess someone will end up restoring server next week.

3 Likes

Oh, this could be a dream! Someone set the an offline environment on a virtual machine and share it! [inserting Fry from Futurama saying “shut up and take my money”]

You might get somewhere with this initial try. It works for my Faust patches on Lich at least…