Can't edit C++ within IDE

Hello,

Maybe I am missing something, but I can’t seem to edit my patches online. I’ve tried Firefox and Chrome with both the same results. I click to edit, the button changes to editing, and while I can select regions of text, I can’t actually type anything at all. Which means every typo has to be corrected on original source, re-uploaded, and saved before I can compile. As you can imagine it is a real drag… I have 5 files uploaded for my patch.
In that vein, any chance of getting chance of getting improved tools for debugging? Like online basic compilation checking or making it easy to download some of the API to work through compilation errors locally? I have to say, the C++ API could use some filling out and proper easy to find examples of how to use things.

Thanks,

PDue

Hiya,
did you upload your files directly to the site or did you add GitHub links?
If the file says Open this file on GitHub in the top right corner then editing won’t work - we should flag that up.
If not, when in Editing mode, clicking anywhere in the file should give you a blinky cursor and let you edit away. I just tested (in Chrome) and it works for me on my patches. If it doesn’t for you, could you please open the Console (in Chrome, right click and select Inspect, then select Console tab), click Edit again, and tell us if there are any error messages.

For offline compilation we have OwlProgram, which requires some command line skills and is a bit of a pain to install. This is why we created the online tools.

And thanks for the feedback, we’re always looking to improve our tools. In the future we might actually be able to run a C++ compiler in the browser thanks to the amazing advances in Web Assembly technology.

Hi There,

Okay, I didn’t miss anything… I uploaded using the browser, not git-hub (sorry, I’m a mercurial person :wink: and it still isn’t working. I opened up the console in Chrome. Nothing happens in the console when I click edit. There are pre-existing warnings though. For extra info, I’m using Chrome 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit). I’m running an old OS at the moment, OS10.10.5. Here are the pre-existing warnings:

lowPriorityWarning.js:38 Warning: Accessing PropTypes via the main React package is deprecated, and will be removed in React v16.0. Use the latest available v15.* prop-types package from npm instead. For info on usage, compatibility, migration and more, see https://fb.me/prop-types-docs
printWarning @ lowPriorityWarning.js:38
lowPriorityWarning.js:38 Warning: Accessing createClass via the main React package is deprecated, and will be removed in React v16.0. Use a plain JavaScript class instead. If you’re not yet ready to migrate, create-react-class v15.* is available on npm as a temporary, drop-in replacement. For more info see https://fb.me/react-create-class

Might check out OwlProgram as I generally prefer to do as much as possible off-line and try and build things cross-embedded platform (selectable using build settings). I work with the Bela team a lot and their online compiler works nicely.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help sort out what is going on.

Thanks

PDue

Hi PDue (@punkass),

I am currently working on a project called Howl which is a containerized cross compile environment for the OWL devices that comes preinstalled with all dependencies/tools in OwlProgram. I haven’t put it up yet but it will be ready to be experimented with soon (next 2 weeks) as I’m making good progress on it. Howl will make it easy to compile and deploy from command line or an IDE. If you’re interested you can keep an eye on the progress of this software here: https://community.rebeltech.org/t/howl-self-contained-build-environment-docker-image-for-owl/

Re: debugging… a good first way to debug patches in the box is using OwlSim VST. Im sure there’s a way to JTAG into the target device, too, but currently don’t know if this IF is documented in the firmware? I often just plug the audio output into a scope to reference waveforms and keep and eye on memory and cpu load for target testing…

Cheers,
Ben