OwlNest crashing when trying to update OwlWare

Hi,

I’m trying to update the firmware, but OwlNest keeps crashing when I do.
Also, now when I load up OwlNest and choose ‘Load from Owl’, the application hangs. I can’t load patches.

Please help.

Did you download it from the website or compile it yourself?
What’s your operating system? Could you post a stack trace? (On OS X it’s easy to get debug information after application crashes, don’t know about other OSes.)

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I downloaded the firmware from the website. I’m on Windows 8.

After redownloading OwlNest, I can now get info from the pedal and send patches; however, once complete, I cannot switch between patches using the pedal (it just stays on one colour), and neither patch works when I plug in a sound source. Still crashing when I try to update the firmware.

No idea about posting stack traces.

s

Can anyone help? Really frustrating waiting so long to get this pedal and now it’s dead.

I have no experience with command line/git/etc. (I had a stab at updating the bootloader but didn’t get very far - completely lost).

Please help.

Can you switch patches from within OwlNest? You should at least be able to select a different patch for the first patch slot.

I’ve also had problems where switching between patches using the Owl’s push-button doesn’t always work; this is most likely a software issue however, not a hardware issue, which means any such problems can still be fixed by the Owl team, and they will appreciate detailed bug reports.

It’s worth bearing in mind that much of the Owl development focus until now was on hardware development, and much of the software is still in an early stage; I expect this will improve significantly over the course of the year. (I also think it was the right approach of the Owl team to prioritise their work. Fixing hardware problems after the devices have shipped is significantly harder. And of course both hardware and software development take a significant amount of time to do well, it’s quite easy to underestimate how long it takes to build a great product.)

Very good points Martin - thank you for your thoughts.

Just so eager to make noises!

I can switch patches from within OwlNest, yes. I’ll play around with it some more today, but I tried a few patches this way and all I was getting when I plugged in my guitar was a loud gain hum. The knobs didn’t do anything.

Hopefully some good software tools are on the way for the non-coding musicians. If there was an easy way to restore factory software settings without having to use (or in my case fail at) cygwin, that would be helpful.

Hi Sleeven,

This is exactly our next priority and we are working on that direction.
We have had some very busy months in between building and testing all pedals for our backers, and moving offices (!).
Now that we are almost done with the hardware rush, we should be able to improve significantly the software workflow in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your patience !
Cheers
Giom

Great news. Thanks Giom.

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any updates on this? My pedal is still dead in the water - need to get it reset.

Thanks,

Steven

we have a new compiled OwlNest and firmware ready! we are doing final tests and they will be released this week-end.

new binaries available !
http://hoxtonowl.com/2014/03/new-software-release/
we will udpate the wiki as soon as we can.

I have a brick. I update the firmware, but my pedal was blocked in red, it doesnt work, no owlnest comunication, I can’t use, no midi, no comunication, only red led always lightning.

Can I do a hard reset?

Regards

I tryed downgrading but shows

Device Firmware Update

Could not find a conected DFU device
---- 16%

Cancel(button)

i put OwlWare-rev04-003.bin

Hello!

Can you enter DFU mode by holding the pushbutton down when you connect power? You should see the LED blink red three times, indicating that you’ve entered DFU mode.

If yes, then leave the device connected (with the LED off) and then do the firmware update with OwlNest.

If you see a very fast red/green, blurred flashing instead of three red blinks then you have an invalid bootloader. In this case, don’t update the firmware before you’ve updated the bootloader!

perfect I can downgrade, ufff!, thanks. but I can’t upgrade to OwlWare-rev04-003.bin, because it blocks the pedal to red light always.

this blocked mode cant’t allow midi comunications also. the midi OWL FS midi in/out doesn’t apear in owlnest app in aplication settings.

perfect now, thanks I download again the firm, may be I downloaded wromg. thnx for al support. the best for you

Good to hear it’s working again for you!
We’ll try to add some checksum verification to the download/upload process.

Hi,

I’m not having any luck getting the device into DFU mode. I’m getting fast Red/Green. Is there any easy way to update the bootloader yet?