Problem with Lich

Hi,
First post here:)
I finished building a diy lich and I have been having trouble with the screen since the beginning, but i was able to upoload firmware, calibrate, load patches, everything ok.
Now every time i try to upload a patch it states :
Error 0x70 Preventing reset program from starting
If i restart the module a H with a dot on the left shows and then changes to a C with a Dot on the left side.
If i press the encoder once, the two push button red lights do a sequence, and then the first led remains on.
After this state if i load :slight_smile:OWL Patch Library – Rebel Technology
It gives me the following info:
CONNECTED TO: OWL Lich Boot v21.0
If i try to install a patch to slot 1:
CONNECTED TO: OWL Lich Boot v21.0
If i restart, i get the H again. If i try to upload the firmware 2.1 with Sysex librarian, both leds alternate blinking as if it was indicating that its receiving data. After that sequence stops and second led remains on.
I restart both the computer and Lich, uncconnected to the computer.
By a combination of reset device, refresh, erase storage, i finally managed to upload a patch. ([Lich] Knoscillator)
But if i try to upload another patch like ct5 mode 1 pitch delay, leds alternate again and im back to the beginning of the issues.
Any ideas on what im doing wrong?
Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Hi Topa,
good work on getting it built and mostly working.

First off, the screen dot should be in the bottom right corner. You can see that e.g. on p.2 of the user manual. Does that look the same as yours?

Secondly, what the Device page is telling you is that you are connected to the bootloader: CONNECTED TO: OWL Lich Boot v21.0. Try clicking ‘Reset Device’ to exit the bootloader, and enter the main firmware. If you keep getting back to the bootloader, then something is causing a firmware reset. Look out for error messages on the web page. Otherwise you should be all good to go.

This message: Error 0x70 Preventing reset program from starting just tells you that the firmware has decided not to try to start the same patch again, after a reset. It could be that the patch is corrupt or invalid, or that the firmware has reset for other reasons.

Hi @mars ! Thanks for the reply. Yes, i think i got a faulty screen since some numbers come up and others dont.
I have chequed all components feeding the screen an they are good, so i have orderder an new one and will change it so see if it solves the problem.
I finally got it to work yesterday. For some reason lich did not like the patch i was trying to load for some reason .
Congrats on the excellent work and all the information / tutorials on here.
Cheers!

1 Like

Ah, that’s a familiar username! I hope you haven’t soldered that indicator upside down, that would be too embarrassing!

Other than that, there might be a problem with QC for this part - mine has a dot that is always on, might need replacing it too.

Hi @antisvin :slight_smile: I made sure i soldered it right, with the mark in the bottom? I think i had a short from one of pots touching a contact of the pcb that might have damaged the screen. Im getting a new one in s few days, so hopefully that should be the culprit:)
Good to see you too :slight_smile:

Embarrassing it is…screen was soldered backwards :frowning:
If assumed the dot mentioned on the build guide was the one in the side of the screen, not the dot inside the screen itself.
Dooooohhh

1 Like